The 2017 Victorian Aeropress Championships is on … like Donkey Kong!!!
Fast, fun and light-hearted, the comp puts competitors head-to-head, jumping barrels whilst brewing with the greatest filter brewing device known to mankind.
The ultimate champion will not only rescue Pauline from Donkey Kong’s clutches, but claim fame, glory and a high score. They’ll also win a flight to the Australian Aeropress Championships on 9 September in Sydney and have a shot at progressing to the World AeroPress Championship!
With plenty of additional stuff in the prize loot get your entry in now to lock in your place on the bar (they’re a steal at $25)!
Doors open at 5pm with the comp kicking off at 6pm at the Five Senses Barista Academy – 300 Rosslyn Street, West Melbourne.
And while Donkey Kong roars from the top floor of the barista academy outside, we’ll be throwing a ping pong tourney on the inside. If you fancy yourself as a bit of a ping pong master or your just keen to have some fun come and join the competition!
Beers and burgers available downstairs, card only! #cashless
Competitor Tickets: 2017 Victorian Aeropress Championships
Facebook event: 2017 AeroPress Regional: Victoria (AUS)
- The competition is a multi-round, elimination tournament.
- In each round, three competitors brew coffee simultaneously.
- Competitors have 8 minutes in which to prepare, brew, and present their coffee.
- When the time is up, the coffees are presented in identical vessels to a panel of three judges.
- The judges blindly evaluate each coffee and make their own private assessment as to which is the best.
- On the count of three, all judges simultaneously point to their preferred coffee.
- The winner progresses to the next round. The losers are eliminated.
- The brewer used must be a genuine Aerobie AeroPress.
- Any modifications to a brewer need to be authorised by the Hosts prior to the competition.
- Ground coffee and water are the only ingredients allowed.
- Any type of filter is allowed. This includes paper, metal, cloth, and all other types of filter.
- Competitors are welcome to bring their own grinder, kettle, scales, water, or other equipment.
- If the Hosts have specified a competition coffee, this is the only coffee that may be used.
- Competitors must present a minimum of 200ml of coffee, in the vessel provided.
- Coffees not presented within the time limit of 8 minutes will not be evaluated.
- Failure to comply with any of the above will result in disqualification.
- Each round is judged blind using the cupping technique of spoon, slurp, and spit.
- Competitor’s names will be marked on the underside of the cups where they are completely hidden.
- There is no scoresheet or formal judging criteria. Judges are simply answering: “Which cup would I prefer to drink all of?”
- Each judge will arrive at their own conclusion, without discussing the samples with their fellow judges.
- On the count of three, all judges will point simultaneously, confidently, and definitively at the cup of their choosing.
- After judging, the MC will lift the winning cup, revealing the name of the glorious round winner, while simultaneously shaming the losers.
- In the event of all three judges pointing at different cups, the MC or a pre-determined Head Judge will taste the coffees, and decide the round. This decision is final.
- Any competitor protests or appeals should be addressed to ‘just_try_to_have_fun_ok [at] worldaeropresschampionship.com‘. Please do not expect a response.